Wesley Word-Nov. 17, 2021
To go along with service on: Sunday, November 21, 2021
We Are The Kingdom
This Sunday is Christ the King Sunday, the last Sunday of the Christain year before we begin the new year with the season of Advent. On both this Sunday and the next Sunday, the First Sunday of Advent, we turn our attention to Last Things and the Return of Jesus.
To be honest, most of us approach this topic and the Book of Revelation with more than a healthy dose of anxiety. What we find in the Book of Revelation is the story of the triumph of the Kingdom of God and of Jesus, our King. We know from watching the news of our world that the decline of one system of government and the rise of another is an unpredictable, chaotic, fearful, and, all too often, violent time. And, since what John is seeing are visions of a rising spiritual Kingdom, that he himself admits he is often at a loss of words to describe, it is no wonder that we can find ourselves easily lost and afraid.
It is important, then, to remind ourselves that the Book of Revelation is the Good News of God’s Kingdom overcoming the forces of evil. Or, as Revelation 11:15 says, “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Messiah, and he will reign forever and ever.”
Of course, we do not celebrate Christ the King Sunday because Jesus is going to be King someday, we celebrate because Jesus is our King right now and someday His Kingdom will come in its fullness. Our reading from Revelation says we are a kingdom of priests. Jesus is coming, there is nothing we can do to prevent that or help it along. What we can do is live like subjects of his Kingdom here and now by loving our neighbors and sharing the Good News.
Questions for Reflection/Discussion:
- What small thing can I do today to increase and improve God’s Kingdom?
Expressing Love:Family/Mission Activity
Watch the movie clip from The Lion King here. Ask your family what Simba’s idea of being a king is. Why does he want to be king?
It would be easy to think being a king is just like Simba thinks it will be, but Jesus is the perfect king. He’s selfless, gracious, and just. In the Lord’s prayer we say, “thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.” We are called to bring God’s kingdom to earth. What can we do to make earth a little more like heaven?
- WOW (Worship on Wednesdays) TONIGHT!
- 5:30-6:00 catered meal-soup from Let’s Eat!
- 6:00 Mid-week worship
- 6:30-7:30 Small Groups for kids, youth and adults
- Lay Leaders Needed: We have opportunities available for anyone interested in serving on Trustees or the Staff-Parish Relations Committee. If you are interested, please contact Pastor Brian.
- This Sunday is Pledge Sunday. If you are ready to make a pledge, bring your card to church to be consecrated. We will have blank cards for those who need them. If you are not ready yet, you can bring/send your card in anytime. We thank you for your generosity and commitment. Please watch this wonderful video about the joy of giving.
- Community Thanksgiving Service: Wednesday, November 24th, 6:00pm at Church of the Living Water (3120 Park Avenue West, Muscatine)
- Kids’ Holiday Shoppe: Sat, Dec. 11th, 9am-12 pm. We are currently accepting donations of new or like new items, wrapping paper/bags, tissue paper, tape, and gift tags! Donations can be dropped off in Room 1.