Wesley Word – March 23, 2022
To go along with service on: Sunday, March 27, 2022
Famous Last Words: You’ve Been Warned
We are continuing our Lenten series…Famous Last Words: Jesus’ Farewell Discourse in the Gospel of John. This week, our next to last week, we finish chapter 15 and look at chapter 16.
So far, we have noticed some themes repeat throughout the Farewell Discourse. Jesus predicts his crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension. Jesus promises that he will return. Jesus commands us to demonstrate our love for Him through obedience. Jesus promises to answer our prayers. Jesus promises us the comfort, power, and guidance of the Holy Spirit. Jesus warns us about coming trouble and persecution.
Almost all of those themes are repeated in our text this week. However, the focus in this section is on the coming persecution of those who follow Jesus. Jesus tells us he is telling us these things to increase our faith and give us hope and peace. Nobody likes bad news, but is it not better to know than not know? Is it not better to be warned? Do we not sleep more peacefully at night knowing that our homes have working smoke detectors?
If we can trust in Jesus’ warnings; we can also trust in His promises. Jesus warns us about persecution, but he also promises us the strength to endure. Because of this, we have hope.
Questions for Reflection/Discussion:
- What other themes have you seen emerge so far in the Farewell Discourse?
- How do the warnings and promises of Jesus help you to remain hopeful in suffering?
Are you using the Wesley Word? Take a one-question survey here and let us know.
New Testament in a Year: https://wesleyonline.org/biblereading/
- March 23 Luke 5:29-6:11
- March 24 Luke 6:12-38
- March 25 Luke 6:39-7:10
- March 26 Luke 7:11-35
- March 27 Luke 7:36-8:3
- March 28 Luke 8:4-21
- March 29 Luke 8:22-39
- March 30 Luke 8:40-9:6
Expressing Love: Family/Mission Activity
Hidden promises: Get 3 plastic easter eggs and write 1 of the following truths on slips of paper and put 1 in each egg:
- God is with me.
- God is for me.
- God will help me.
Show the eggs to your family (but not what is inside). Tell them you will hide them around the house and then they will have to find them. When all eggs have been found, open them up to read the truths inside. Discuss each truth and how knowing that truth can help (try to think of specific situations). Jesus warns us that life may not always be easy as Christians, but he also promises to be with us.
- CANCELED! WOW has been canceled for tonight.
- Wesley Scholarship applications are now available on the table in front of the office. Completed applications are due April 1.
- Earlybird WOW, next Wednesday, March 30 @ 11 am. Lunch will be provided. Please RSVP to the office no later than Monday, March 28.
- Worship Help Needed: We are in need of 6 readers in each service on Palm Sunday, April 10th. We also need 7 people to help with handwashing and serving Communion at the Holy Thursday service on April 14th. If you would like to help in these ways, contact Pastor Brian. (email@example.com)